Visit us on Yelp and tell the world what you think about us. Click here to find us on Yelp!, an on-line directory of local business with user submitted reviews.
But what is this Yelp exactly? Well, according to their website, their purpose is “To connect people with great local businesses.” Seems like a simple enough idea. But how do they accomplish that purpose?
A little background:
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics
- As of August 2010, more than 38 million people visited Yelp in the past 30 days
- Yelpers have written over 12 million local reviews, over 85% of them rating a business 3 stars or higher
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, special offers, lists and to talk with other Yelpers
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews
So, users (like you) write reviews for the world to see, and hopefully the reviews are good enough to convince other people to check out the business. If you were curious about, say, Planet Ant Theatre, you could visit Yelp to see what other people have to say about the company. Yelp shows an average score of all the reviews at the top of the business’ page, and lists the individual reviews below. Of course, there is also the possibility that a business is reviewed so poorly that other Yelp! users would stay away…
Our hope at the Hilberry is that you would use Yelp to tell the world how much you enjoy your time at our theatres. You could, of course, tell the world to never step foot inside our space because your experience was miserable… but if that was the case, you probably wouldn’t be reading this blog…
So Yelp on Yelpers! And check back to what other people have said too. Yelp is also an interesting place for dialogue with other Yelpers.